Sunday, January 01, 2006

New Years 2006

Last night was new years. We celebrate on New Zealand time which is the earliest time zone in the world. So we got a sneak peak. There were 3 bands and lots of drinking. Afterall, you can celbreate New Year's even in all timezones for 24 hours straight here. I had a beer - my second on 'the Ice'. It was also shabbos which I have been observing here. Many people have asked about how one observes Shabbos in Antarctica. For some information you can check out:

http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/kk-trav-northpole.htm

The rules work just fine at the south pole too! After the party, I read until 3am and fell asleep.
I am going to speak [not sleep] soon at the Pole's Sunday Science Lecture - the first of the year.

However, at the moment I am exhausted. Denis, Yuki, Jamie, and I decided to take a hike out to an old LC130 cargo plane that crashed here in 1980something. It is really far off the base, about 3 miles. The first half was easy. Then we finished walking down the runway = what made it easy it turned into what's called a 'snow swamp'. It was unbelievably hard! We had to wear all our survival gear and boy am I luck I did. It was really cold and of course we are on 2 miles of ice so at times I was panting... Then we got to the plane. It was very eerie like a ghost ship but fun - see photos at:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/knight_sky_la/album?.dir=/cb61&.src=ph&.tok=phP1VHEB4dYrvBJX

Luckily when it crashed no one was hurt. Amazing since it broke in half and turned all over. Right now it's facing away from the base although it was landing when it crashed. As pilots say 'any landing you can walk away from is a success'. Still I hope my 'retrograde' back to Mc Murdo is less eventful! We stayed for about 10 minutes then came back, hoping to catch the yearly tradition of moving of the geographic south pole which, due to the ice's 10 meter drift per year, needs to be recalculated. Apparently it's a big ceremony. If I can recover I will go and then get ready to give my talk. Then I have to pack up - I'm shipping out tomorrow!

1 Comments:

Blogger New Zealand Web Design said...

New Zealand website design services. Try christchurch web design We have fantastic prices for custom design and web hosting. Compare our prices to our competition. Get professional feature packed hosting from $5.95 a month. If you need a south island web design company contact us. We can optimize your website so you receive more people who are interested in what your selling or what your website is about. Imagion for a second you have a blog subject or website related to the New Zealand Rugby World Cup 2011 We can send you people who would join your blog or website to talk about that same subject. For example this phrase is typed into search engines by people everyday heliskiing new vacation zealand What search terms or phrases are people using to find your products or services. Is your site optimized with the right keywords. We have lots more information on our website, so come check us out at christchurch web design
Handy Link
Travel to New Zealand, Looking for New Zealand accommodation?
Here are two great handy links
christchurch new zealand accommodation
new zealand accommodation queenstown

4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home